Here, we are going to discuss the FSSAI registration and its process in a clear and an understandable manner.
Food Safety and Standards Authority of India is an agency of ministry of health and family welfare of India. It is significant to have a body in government for the regulation and supervision of food safety in order to protect and promote the public health. Hence the government in 2006 passed the food safety standards act under the food safety and standards act, 2006. FSSAI formulates the rules & regulations and handles the food related issues in various Ministries and Departments.
What are the functions of FSSAI?
- Frame the regulations to lay down the standards and guidelines for the articles of foods to specify an appropriate system in order to enforce those standards.
- Lay down the structure and guidelines for accreditation of certification bodies which turns certify the food safety management systems for food businesses.
- Collection and collating of food consumption data, food contaminants, incidence and prevalence of biological risks, a residue of various contaminants in food products, identifying emerging risks which introduces the rapid alert system.
- National information network has been created to provide clear, reliable and a quick objective information about food safety and issues of concern to the public, consumers, Panchayats etc.
- It figures out the procedure for accreditation of food testing labs and notifies accredited labs.
- Training has provided to the persons who are involved and intended to get into a business.
- Contributes to the development of sanitary, Phytosanitary standards and international goods.
- General awareness of food safety and standards has been promoted.
FSSAI grants the license and registration for all the business firms which deals in any kind of business related to food. It examines the applicant’s application and grants the license only after it satisfied with the application. Be it selling, manufacturing or distributing the food items, FSSAI registration is mandatory. Food business operators can start their business operation once permitted from the concerned authorities.
Hotels, restaurants, canteen, bakeries, dairy, the manufacturer of consumable products etc., every such business unit requires the FSSAI registration. They are called as food business operators. Obtaining an FSSAI licence benefits the owner since it helps to build customer’s trust over the products.
- Form B: Food business operator can apply for new license or renew an existing one by applying to form B; self-attested declaration has to be attached along with that form.
- The concerned authorities examine the application and carry out the food inspection after receiving the application;
- If the inspector is satisfied with your business operations, then he/she forward that report and the license will be issued to the party. This may takes up to 60 days.
- But if it takes more than 60 days, the applicant can commence his business without the license, not waiting for further communication.
FSSAI license is required for all the activities relates to the processing, manufacturing, storage, packaging and distribution of food.
FSSAI lays down some safety standards to regulate the distribution, manufacturing and storing of food articles and thus ensuring the availability of safe food for the purpose of human consumption.
It has certain procedures to establish the laboratories all over India to test the nutritional level in the food particles. It is totally responsible for promoting the public health by keep checking the food quality. FSSAI license is mandatory to gain the consumers’ confidence. If it is ignored, implications will follow and also heavy penalties would be imposed on the unit.
90% of the food products have met the prescribed specifications. It takes around two months in order to obtain the FSSAI license and three to six months for the product approval which is being launched in the market.
FSSAI doesn’t check the entire license but they can pick up randomly for some examination. The sea products and grains which are in the hands of fisherman and farmers are out of the scope of FSSAI. Other types of food products which are fresh, packaged and importer can also come under the lens of FSSAI.
FSSAI came after the previous food safety act, prevention of good adulteration act and it didn’t meet its policing abilities.
FSSAI aim is that what you eat is safe for consumption. FSSAI has given the authority to the consumers in order to file the complaints if they found that any product is failing its food nutritional requirements. After receiving those complaints, FSSAI carries out the investigation of the food product in the certified laboratories. Provision of compensation to the consumer is also provided.
FSSAI has made it mandatory to show certain labels for the consumer satisfaction:
- FSSAI logo with its license.
- Hall mark
- Vegetarian and non-vegetarian mark
- Nutritional value in percentage
- Manufacturing date and best before period.
FSSAI motive it to create a network which helps connect all the public, panchayats and consumers etc. in order to receive reliable and speedy information about the food safety concerns.
The act however aims to establish a single reference point for all the matter relating the food safety and standards by moving from a multi-level, multi-departmental in order to control to a single line of command.
With this effect, the act establishes an independent statutory authority – the Food safety and Standards Authority of India with the head office at Delhi. FSSAI and the state food safety authorities shall however enforce the various provision of the act.
Establishment of the authority:
FSSAI is governed by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India. It is headed by the chief executive officer and the chair person who are appointed by the Government of India.
FSSAI license renewal:
FSSAI license is a legal compliance for any kind of business relates to the food whether it’s a manufacturing of food items, or seller or distributor. Obtaining FSSAI license is not a onetime compliance. The validity of the FSSAI license is depends on how long you have applied for and the cost of license increases with no of years you opt for.
Validity of FSSAI license is maximum 5 years. Before the existing one gets expired apply for the FSSAI license again. As per the FSSAI guidelines it is indeed to apply for the new license before 30 days from your existing license expiration date. If you delay in application, you will be charged a penalty of Rs.100 per day.
If you fail to renew the FSSAI license, can make the authorities sue you. They could put your firm on hold. In order to avoid penalties, you need to renew the new license on time.
Procedure for renewal of FSSAI license:
FSSAI license is renewed by Form A or Form B (based on your eligibility) and the procedure is as follows:
Step 1: Fill Form B
All the required information needs to be filled up in the Form-A along with the self-attested declaration implies that you conform to the Food safety and Standards Act.
Step 2: After you have submitted your application, the authority examines that everything you specified in that application is correct or not. Then they will arrange an inspection to your working area.
Step 3: Once the FSSAI officer finishes the inspection and they are satisfied with your work, then they will pass your application to the higher authority along with the report.
Step 4: Authority takes around 60 days to issue the FSSAI license, if it takes more than 60 days and you got any notice from the authority, you can continue with your business without waiting for any further order.
“Solubilis Corporate Services” provides a reliable and an efficient business services to the clients based on their requirements. FSSAI registration can be done at a reasonable cost and within the specified duration of time. For more details -> Click here.